Writing for Engineering

Seft-Assessment

Seft-Assessment for Writing for Engineering 

In this fall 2021semester, I took Writing for Engineering (ENGL-21007), I question 

myself first that do I need to take this course because I have already taken two writing courses. Therefore, my thinking was that ENGL-21007 will teach me what I have already learned in the past and my expectation was that it might be bored to me. However, I was wrong because I achieve both enjoyment and benefit from ENGL-21007 because each assignment is different from one another. That made me excited, and I was never tried to acquire and finish each task and assignment. 

First, I was able to benefit from group work and peer review because it delighted me about the ideas that I have never thought. Moreover, it gave me a lot of mental support because I noticed that I am not the only one who struggled in four-year college. In addition, when I was confused about the assignment, our group explained me what the main point is and what I need to do for this assignment especially Power Point.

Second, I am new immigrant and I never learn how to create a professional resume. Now, I know how to write professional resume due to ENGL-21007. It was one of the most significant benefit for taking this course. Furthermore, Mr. Barber instructed me what I need to fix when I made some mistakes in my resume.

Third, I learned that how to convince your audience when you are writing an article and essay. In the previous, I never consider what my audience thinking about my essay. As a human being, we live in a community; therefore, you must convince your audience or your employer if you want to success. In this course, I have an opportunity how to persuade your audiences by Mr. Barber. 

Fourth, creating cover letter is one of the hardest assignments for me because this is my first time to write a cover letter to get a job from employer. I learn that when you write a cover letter that just go straight and not mentioned extra words in cover letter. Especially, you don’t need to polite. In plain English, you just need to show what your experience is and what make you suitable for this job. 

Fifth, when I created lab report data display, I learned how to use IEEE format. This is new kind of citation style that I have never learned before. The institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE) style is a widely accepted for writing research papers, commonly used in technical fields. Therefore, I will have many benefits from learning this IEEE citation style for my future career and my education.  

Finally, I acquired many new writings format in this course especially how to write research paper.